Records, videos, synchronizations and Private copy
Choose license Do I need a licence to publish a record?
To publish a record on the market, you need to have the corresponding Reproduction and Distribution licence from the Society of Authors in the country where the record is going to be distributed.
What steps do I need to take to publish my own record?
First of all, you must be a member of the SGAE and have your works registered. At least 80% of the works on the record must be your own work. It is also necessary that you have no advances pending with the SGAE nor with any Publisher. In addition, you must not have collected more than collected more than € 3,000 in your last two share-outs for Mechanical Reproduction.
How often can I request this service?
You can produce two self-productions a year. before requesting the second one, the status of your account as a member of the SGAE will have to be re-checked.
Examples of fees

​For media intended for Sale, the fee per copy manufactured is calculated by taking into account the price you indicate. If you retail it direct to the general public, we calculate 7.40% of the RRP. If, on the other hand, you are working with a distributor, we calculate 8.712% of the RCP. You must always remember that there is a minimum amount that must be paid per copy manufactured. This amount varies depending on kind of medium you manufacture.

Due to space constraints, the information shown in the present table is only an extract or summary of the corresponding fee heading. To view the full table of fees and all the details about your application, use this link

What does this licence include?

  • Medium intended for Retail Sale for private use

    When a record producer applies for a licence of this type through the corresponding contract, the SGAE identifies the works belonging to its repertoire and generates an invoice for the concept of copyright in those works that are protected. When the producer pays this invoice, the SGAE sends the reproduction and distribution licence de that must be presented to the manufacturer as to accredit the payment of copyright.​

Puedes consultar tu licencia en el siguiente PDF

Deductions and rate reductions

​In the case of a phonographic recording intended for Sale, we apply a discount of 10% to the units manufactured (up to a maximum of 300) when you are producing the first run in each of your references.

¿Quieres obtener tu licencia?

Solicita aquí tu licencia y un representante de SGAE se pondrá en contacto contigo para la formalización del contrato


  • What is the Reproduction right?

    This is the power to decide on whether to record the work on a physical medium enabling its communication and the possibility of obtaining copies of all or part of the work. Reproduction acts include the recording of a musical work on a CD, DVD, MP3, LP, …

  • What is the Distribution right?

    This is the power to decide on whether to make the original or copies of the work available to the public through its sale, rental, loan or any other means. The delivery of copies of physical media containing works in the SGAE repertoire to a store for sale to consumers constitutes distribution.

  • What is a phonographic recording? Who is the producer of a phonographic recording?

    A phonographic recording is a recording of a musical work on a physical medium. Phonographic recordings include records, tapes, compact disks or any other product in which a musical work is recorded. The producer of the phonographic recording is habitually identified by the name of the recording company or record label. The producer is the entrepreneur on whose initiative and responsibility the recording of a musical work is made and the person to whom the exploitation rights of the phonographic recording belong.

  • What is a record’s reference?

    The reference is the catalogue number each producer gives to the various media launched onto the market. It may be a combination of numbers and letters so that the references follow a consecutive sequence as and when more records are produced (e.g. ALCD001 – ALCD002).

¿Quieres obtener tu licencia?

Solicita aquí tu licencia y un representante de SGAE se pondrá en contacto contigo para la formalización del contrato